Essential oils have been around for centuries. Nowadays, essential oils and their usages has exploded all over the wellness industry and positively impact many people. They are used to promote relaxation, they are used for massage, they are used on injuries and even cleaning.
I reached out to my local dōTERRA Advocate and RMT Lisa Katalia, for more information on the benefits and uses of essential oils.
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS?
Essential oils are the aromatic compound of a plant. So when you literally stop to smell the roses you are inhaling the esential oil of the rose flower. In nature often these aromas are a method of attraction or protection and for us they can have therapeutic benefits.
HOW ARE ESSENTIAL OILS PROCESSED?
There are many ways companies are extracting and/or creating smells. What you want to look for are oils that have been cold pressed or steam distilled. The process depends on the plant and keeping its integrity is very important to end up with an oil that still has its therapeutic qualities intact.
IN WHAT WAYS CAN ESSENTIAL OILS BENEFIT US?
It would be very difficult to list the ways oils can help us without writting a whole book! Each individual oil often has multiple ways of supporting our body systems. To give you an idea they can help to support our nervous system, respiratory and cardiovascular systems, digestive, skin, hair and nails, etc. So let’s say you wanted a more restful deeper sleep or a boost in the afternoon…Oils can help with these and many other daily issues that arise.
HOW HAS ESSENTIAL OILS IMPACTED YOUR LIFE?
I’ve been using essential oils for almost 15 years now. I use them for lots of things in many ways. In my own personal use I think the thing that surprises people most is that my 9 year old daughter has only ever had one prescription in her life and I can’t remember the last time I had one. Even through the day care years which all parents know the struggle of we used our oils to support our immune system and stave off all those germs! Beyond that and the reason I like to share my knowledge is that I have heard incredible stories from others about transformations in health. Stories that are so incredible they bring a tear to my eye and I’m proud to part of them.
HOW DO YOU USE YOUR OILS?
I use my oils everyday. There are three ways you can use oils although not every brand is made equal and internal use is not always recommended (you can check the label for this)
- Topical – applying locally to the desired area
- Aromatic – adding oils to a diffuser or simply smelling from the bottle
- Internal – drinking or taking oils in pill form
So for example I’ll take you through a typical day of using oils for me.
- Wake up and apply or smell lemon or peppermint as wake up call and uplifting to the mood
- Wash my face and use tea tree to minimize any blemishes
- Apply frankincense and peppermint to my daughter before school to help her focus
- Turn on a diffuser in the house with lemongrass to keep the air fresh and clean
- Do a load of laundry using soap that I’ve added oils to or dryer balls with with oils on them for fresh lovely smelling laundry
- Sometimes my meals have oils in them if I didn’t have a certain spice but had the oil
- Getting ready for bed a diffuser with lavender or cedar wood is running in the bedroom to promote a deep restful sleep
ARE THEY SAFE?
Safety is a great topic and I’m glad you asked. Like I mentioned not all oils are created equally and so as I address this question I’ll be answering for dōTERRA essential oils specifically.
The simple answer is yes they are safe!
There are some things to know and each plant has different properties meaning they can each be used in different ways, amounts, with some safety tips and guidelines. A few things I like about dōTERRA oils and why I trust them is that:
1) They do studies with hospitals and universities all the time to prove efficacy.
2) They have done all the testing required and able to label their products safe for internal use.
3) They put very specific instructions and safety warnings on each bottle to take the guess work out for users who might be unsure or forget.
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT ESSENTIAL OILS?
BENEFITS OF ESSENTIAL OILS
Not only do essentials oils aromatic, they have many benefits for our well being. Below are just some of the benefits:
- Fight cold and flu symptoms
- Relax your body and soothe sore muscles
- Heal skin conditions
- Alleviate pain
- Balance hormones
- Improve digestion
- Reduce cellulite and wrinkles
- Clean your home
Dr. Axe has an awesome guide to essential oils, which outlines and explains in detail types of oils, usages and benefits.
I have been using essential oils since I was a pre-teen and am glad that this has stayed a part of my life. I use essential oils daily as part of my wellness regime. I diffuse a blend that I intuitively choose and diffuse them throughout the day, I diffuse a special blend (arborvitae, cedar wood, frankincense and sometimes I will add lavender) to prepare my room for sleep, I use a combination of them topically as part of my dystonia regime (deep blue, copaiba, peppermint and eucalyptus) and I use them as part of my meditation routine (frankincense, clary sage, arborvitae, cedar wood). At times put a couple drops of oils in my water for some flavour (lime, wild orange, lemon, mind), and even dilute them to use the mixture as a cleaner (lemon, lavender, tea tree, peppermint) . My daughters use the oils as part of their wellness too! They love to combine a coconut oil and an oil of their choice to help them focus, relax, sleep better or even to lift their spirits.
The next time you are feeling stressed or just need a pick me up, consider adding essential oils to your list new methods to try out.
Sumbul Zafar, R.H.N.