Most of us would toss out the stems not thinking twice but did you know that they are full of nutrients!
The cauliflower stalk is an amazing source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fibre, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese.
Vitamin C in cauliflower improves collagen production and delays the signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines, the other antioxidants in the vegetable clear dark spots and enhance skin texture.
Vitamin C can also boost hair health – and the antioxidants, in general, strengthen the hair follicles and make your hair healthier.
Do you want to know the best part? You can eat the stems too!
The stalks are rich in calcium which is important for bone health but is also rich in iron and fibre which helps with digestion and a healthy gut.
One of my favourite side dishes is Garlicky Sautéed Cauliflower Stems.
Garlicky Sautéed Cauliflower Stems
Add this side dish to some grilled turkey burgers or chicken, or even add it to a salad. You won't be disappointed!
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2-3 Garlic cloves minced (I usually use 3 because I LOVE garlic)
- Crushed red chili flakes (to taste)
- Corse sea salt & black pepper (to taste)
- Step 1 Separate the cauliflower stalk from the stem (you can cook, steam, bake the stem or save it for later). Wash throughly.
- Step 2 Roughly chop the stems and dry.
- Step 3 On low-medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the minced garlic, chill flakes, salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Once you can smell the aroma of the garlic (before it gets brown) add the stems and toss them around for about 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Enjoy!
This recipe is a go to all year around and can compliment a variety of different main courses. It’s quick, easy and the best part…ZERO waste!
Sumbul Zafar, R.H.N.